Hi Brian

Just to clarify myself. With a forged link I ment a forged link of any
type, including a malicious form.

I think you have good thinking. There is a security vulnerability but the
correction is definitely a change that can cause backwards compatibility
issue, just as you write, for any interaction not relying on a human with a
web broswer.

Best regards

// Ola

On 27 November 2016 at 08:56, Brian May <b...@debian.org> wrote:

> Ola Lundqvist <o...@inguza.com> writes:
>
> > I think this type of vulnerability can fall in the category of "minor
> > issue" as it actually need an administrator to visit a forged link. Also
> it
> > should be fairly obvious that the state have changed when the link is
> > clicked by the administrator and it should be easy to change it back.
>
> I think the danger is that an administrator could click "submit" on a
> mallacious HTML form and not realize the form is submitting to monit
> instance localhost. There is no need to forge links. This is potentially
> bad. Although from what you are saying, it sounds like the damage that
> can be done is limited.
>
> You also have to also consider that adding CSRF is a fundemental change
> to the HTTP API, which could break stuff. If there is anything that even
> connects to monit, aside from an end user with a web browser.
>
> I think I will leave this to somebody more familiar with monit and how
> it is used.
> --
> Brian May <b...@debian.org>

/  o...@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  o...@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /