On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09:03PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 02.04.19 10:59, Andy Smith wrote:
>The alternative is that those users continue using Debian without
>realising that their packages stopped being supported by the
>maintainers and security team and are now supported by LTS alone.

this should happen when LTS is over, not before.
also, there's check-support-status for unsupported packages.

On 02.04.19 14:43, Andy Smith wrote:
Sorry I am not sure I follow. Miroslav said, "led thousands of users
to ask themselves what was wrong with their apt update". I cannot
personally say that I saw thousands, but I did see tens (some of
which are my users that I support), which suggests there are quite a
lot more of these users that we don't see.

You understand that these users do not currently read the
announcements about support life times and do not currently run
check-support-status, right? Otherwise they would not have been
confused about what happened with jessie-updates.

So are you really saying that your proposed solution is just to tell
people who aren't currently reading announcements and are not running
check-support-status to try harder?

I'm trying to say that people using LTS should not notice ot of nothing that
the -updates archive is now gone.  That should happen after LTS is over.

dropping the the -backorts is fine, maybe even just after LTS startes.

note that the -updates usually contains packages that are continued to be
supported. This does not apply for -backports.

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".