Hi Afif,

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 11:12:00PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,
> I tried to go ahead with packaging shared libraries, but it looks like I
> have to read three to five more manuals before I can proceed and know what
> I'm doing.

Hmmm, I can not parse this as a specific question to me - just ask if I
can help somehow.  Regarding packaging shared libraries I personally
recommend using d-shlibs.  There are some examples in our repositories
for instance bambamc, bamtools or snp-sites (just a random pick from my
poor mind with no specific order or preference)

> The package is otherwise ready to go. I have man pages for all the
> executables and I believe everything is in order.

Fine.

> My lintian is complaining
> about a leading space on the description field for the meryl and
> libmeryl-dev binary packages. I put the the description immediately after
> the colon and rebuild and still get this warning. Moreover, the spacing is
> the same for the other two generated packages and I don't get this warning
> for them. Otherwise, the package is lintian clean.

See my latest push. :-)

On the other hand when I'm using the latest lintian (from unstable) I get
some more things as info, which might be worth fixing

I: kmer-tools source: duplicate-short-description meryl libmeryl-dev
I: kmer-tools source: quilt-patch-missing-description kazlib.patch
I: kmer-tools source: quilt-patch-missing-description remove-kazlib.patch

You might like to override

I: kmer-tools source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

with a comment to express the fact that there is no chance to write such
a file.

I decide from time to time whether I fix things like

I: meryl: spelling-error-in-binary usr/bin/existDB endianess endianness

If there is a responsive upstream I send a patch.

For things like

I: meryl: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/bin/existDB

I never found a solution myself and consider this false positives.  Feel
free to leave these untouched.

> How does this look to you?

Please add the DEP3 headers to the patches since this is helpful for
other team members.  All other lintian infos are free to your decision.

> Thanks and regards

Thanks for your work on this

     Andreas.

--