Le Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:52:43PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> However, as far as I can see there in tracker[5] are more important
> problems in samtools affecting several architectures.  According to
> Charles[6] this might be fixed upstream in the next release.  I'm not
> sure how promissing the suggested action (=waiting for upstream) might
> be.  Does anybody have contact to upstream and would find out whether a
> new release can be expected soon or whether we should try to backport
> the changes (and would volunteer to do the backporting ;-)).

Hi Andreas,

life is short, time is precisous, and frankly speaking, MIPS, hurd, hppa, etc.
are irrelevant to bioinformatics.

Why not just patiently waiting for the next upstream release ?  The htlslib
packages work very well on amd64, and this is where our work is used.

On my side, I do not have time and patience to deal with these porting issues
with more than a "best effort" priority, because there are no users for htlslib
on these platforms.

If there are volunteers to backport changes in order to go faster than
Upstream, please do so but please also remove my name from the Uploaders field.
On my side I have no time for this wokflow that multiplies patch management and
uploads.

An please do not take this comment negatively: if people can do more that is
great, but at the moment, with my reduced free time and an intensely stressful
job, I am not even in a position to participate to such an effort occasionally.

Making bioinformatics viable on alternative architectures is a huge task that
is only doable with full dedication.  Actually, this is really the kind of task
that I think should be only done if hardware vendors or granting agencies would
provide a strong support.  I am not seeing myself as a pioneer to develop a new
market for manufacturers, I am a researcher sharing the tools of today on the
machines of today.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--