Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your detailed answer!

On Thu, 24 May 2018 at 07:44 Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:14:56PM +0200, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> > > W: ncbi-tools6 source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright copyright
> > > (paragraph at line 30)
> > > W: ncbi-tools6 source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright license
> (paragraph
> > > at line 35)
> > > W: ncbi-tools6 source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright copyright
> > > (paragraph at line 35)
> > >
> > > (It also issues a few unrelated complaints, which I'll be happy to
> > > address myself.)
> > >

> > I cannot reproduce the same lintian output on my computer.
>
> You should always install lintian from unstable.  To do so create two
> files:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/01-unstable.list
> deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian unstable main
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-lintian.pref
> Package: lintian
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 601
>
> Package: debian-policy
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 601
>

> Try first
>
> $ apt-cache policy lintian
>
> which should show
>
>    Candidate: 2.5.88
>
> and to make sure that your general preferences are set correctly
>
> $ apt-cache policy dpkg
>
> This should *not* have a candidate from unstable.  Otherwise add
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-unstable.pref
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>

> to make sure you will not upgrade your whole system to unstable which is
> probably not what you want.  Than do
>
>    sudo apt-get install lintian debian-policy
>
> (This also pulls debian-policy from unstable which is also what you
> want.)

I have updated lintian and debian-policy as you wrote. Now they are of
2.5.88 and 4.1.4.1 versions, respectively.

> > I tried it like
> > this:
> >             lintian -i -I --show-overrides
> ncbi-tools6_6.1.20170106-3_amd64.changes

After that I've also noticed a mentioning of "ncbi-tools6 source" in the
warnings above and realised that I should use .dsc instead of .changes to
reproduce them.

> >             trnascan-se_sample.output
> > I generated that file by running *trnascan-se* (another Debian Med
> > package), so I have no
> > idea what the license and copyright should be written for it. Could you
> > help me with this
> > problem?
>
> I admit I'm unsure myself.  Either it inherits the copyright of the
> original data file (which should be mentioned in trnascan-se) or you
> become the copyright owner.  Besides this I doubt that data are
> copyright-able at all.  So I would not see any problem to use
>
>   Copyright: Liubov Chuprikova
>   License: public_domain

Ok, I've decided to mention myself as a copyright owner. By the way,
trnascan-se_sample.output already has a mentioning about tRNAscan-SE
(including tRNAscan-SE's copyright and license info). But, as you wrote,
the data itself can hardly follow the same license as the program.

Thanks again!
Liubov