Hi Andreas,

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 10:48 Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I decided to upgrade the packaging Git for qiime[1] to qiime2 since we
> can not distribute qiime 1 any more.  The current status is very rough
> but I'm stumbling upon a strange error in the build time test:

> ERROR: test_reload_fails (qiime2.tests.test_artifact_api.TestImports)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/build/qiime-2018.8.0/qiime2/tests/test_artifact_api.py", line 23,
> in setUp
>     get_dummy_plugin()
>   File "/build/qiime-2018.8.0/qiime2/core/testing/util.py", line 20, in
> get_dummy_plugin
>     "When running QIIME 2 unit tests, the QIIMETEST environment "
> RuntimeError: When running QIIME 2 unit tests, the QIIMETEST environment
> variable must be defined so that plugins required by unit tests are loaded.
> The value of the QIIMETEST environment variable can be anything. Example
> command: QIIMETEST=1 nosetests

> Ran 623 tests in 1.982s
>
> FAILED (errors=238)
>

> Before I ask upstream I'd love if somebody would have another look.
> May be I'm just missing something.

I found that the required "testing plugin" (dummy-plugin) is defined as an
entry point argument in setup.py. Qiime uses pkg_resources module to find
the plugin using package's metadata (egg-info). Unfortunately, the metadata
are only available after the "install" phase.

I thought of two options:

 * rely on autopkgtest
 * run build-time tests after "dh_auto_install"

__
Liubov