Hi David,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 04:49:36PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
>     https://omictools.com/imagej-tool
>
> Just leads to a page forcing me to subscribe or sign in.

I was now able to verify this after the description in your other mail
(which I unintentionally deleted from my inbox - simply replying here).

> Since the data is not freely available, I'm questioning if this is
> even something time should be spent on.

I noticed that you reverted a commit by Steffen Moeller in imagej adding
an OMICtools identifyer.  For the moment I do not think it is nice to
simply remove the work of fellow DDs without a consensus how to deal
with these data - thus I reverted that remove for the moment.

In general I do not see any need to remove these data.  We should try to
find some consensus how to deal with this situation.  Once we have this
consensus we can simply switch of the display of the OMICtools links on
our tasks pages (which is the only use I'm aware of) or even do not
import it into UDD.  This will effectively solve the problem you
mentioned without wasting the work of some team mates who have spent
hours to gather the data.  Simply assume OMICtools might change their
policy.  Do you want to re-add all the data to the packaging
information?

My own position to the thing is:

   1. We should talk to OMICtools people (a good chance might be the
      Debian Med sprint)
   2. There are other kind of non-free data (we are linking to
      publications and some of these are hidden behind a pay-wall)
      However, all information we provide can be gathered without
      paying and I would consider the pure IDs as free data.
   3. We try to build a system that is valuable for our users
      including users who are willing to pay for some service provided
      by third party.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--