On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 03:51:37AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:

> On 16.03.20 10:05, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I like this idea and I hope my involvement in the issue in my day job
> > will not block me to much to contribute here.
>
> Is there a chance we can get hold of some daytime colleagues of yours?

Its even hard for me. :-)  Feel free to ask me in private what exactly
you want to discuss.

> > > 1) Tag all COVID-19 related software that is packages or our on wishlist.
> > > This should include medical imaging, molecular dynamics modelers,
> > > epidemiological tracking and statistics, hospital management, and more
> > Pretty good idea.  However, we need to trust the readers of this list
> > (may be the readers of debian-devel-announce or some social media) to
> > complete that tagging and the list of stuff that needs packaging.  I
> > can only do technical work.
>
> Doesn't that mean we need something to circumvent the New Queue?

I do not think so.  I'd bet ftpmaster will be highly motivated if we
would name good reasons to prefer actual packages.

> And maybe do some functional but dirty packaging as in "not get all
> embedded JavaScript libraries out of the way prior of putting the
> package up for use"?

However, I do not think that we can break our rules, thought.  But
we could ask for some manpower to help us with this.

> > Good! Should we add a list of software to package and once it is done
> > point ftpmaster to that list to rank it with higher preference?
> >
> > Is something in the new queue a potential candidate for fast-processing?
>
> You know, I am after bcbio for two years now. It is deeply frustrating.
> It is not much better for other sequencing pipelines. How many packages
> will we be talking about? 20? 30? 50? 100?

So start naming them.

> If we are after working packages quickly and this involves the new queue
> then I am afraid I would need some extra encouragement.

So lets do the experiment first and add to the announcement that we
need help from ftpmaster.

BTW, I have another idea: You remember I'm behind blat and there are
some remaining licensing issues.  May be we can convince some upstreams
to adjust their license!

> > Thanks a lot for this effort
>
> I want to thank you both, too.

Thanks also to you