Hi Cesar,

> I created the repository as a fork of GitHub. Let me know if you want me to
> delete the tags that have been copied.

These tags are no problem at all.  The only problem I see is that you
did not tagged the actual target of your packaging version 4.0.  I've
created a watch file which would fetch this version if it would be
tagged but it is missing.  Please do so on Github.

> I have also adjusted the branches as you instructed, including the upstream
> and master branches. The only thing remaining is to create the "pristine-tar"
> branch when the first tarball is created.

I'd volunteer to do so once I can download a tarball from Github which
will be possible once the version is tagged.

> Additionally, I have updated the control file to point to Salsa instead of
> GitHub for the Git references.

Good!

> I have a question regarding the update policy. Since the upstream branch and
> the GitHub repository will contain the same content, I will keep them
> synchronized with any changes. However, I would like clarification on when to
> merge the changes from upstream to master. Should it be done periodically,
> for each release, or for each commit?

Definitely for only release.  While there is a packaging workflow which
works with cloning Github this is not the usual way we deal with
packages inside the Debian Med team.  This does not mean you could not
do so but I can not give any advise and you will create trouble for your
sponsor who always needs to remember how that workflow was working.  We
have established a pretty easy way to upgrade packages.  It is the
package `routine-update` and you just need to call the script in that
package which will fetch new upstream tarballs, injects it into Git and
builds the package after adjusting to latest packaging standards.

Thus I would strongly recommend to run this script.  I would even
demonstarte that script - however, first I need a version 4.0 tarball.

Here are the changes I did so far:

   * Add watch file
   * Add salsa-ci.yml to run CI on Salsa
   * Stripped down debian/changelog.  It should only contain Debian
     related changes.  Please maintain a separate upstream changelog
     if you want to log your changes.  As long as the Debian package
     is not uploaded there are no such changes and thus it should
     only read "Initial upload"
   * Minor polishing

BTW, I so no real need to provide the manpage inside the debian/ dir.
It might be useful for other distributions as well.

I noticed that you followed the advise of Thorsten Alteholz to add the
copyright statements for the included third party libraries.  That was
probably quite some work but its only the second best way to deal with
these.  In Debian you should try really hard to link against the
Debian packaged versions of these libraries.  At a first look all these
are available.  The development packages of the libraries should be
added as Build-Depends and it should be ensured that these are linked.
The best way to ensure this is to remove the code copies from the
source tarball.  You can do so by adding them inside a

   Files-Excluded:

field in debian/copyright.  However, looking at the libs I really
wonder whether you should simply remove boost*, bzip2 and zlib in any
case.  These libs are existing on any known Linux distribution - there
is no point in carrying around those code copies (since you always
need to expect that there might be hidden security issues which you
can not maintain on your own).  But that's up to you - the Debian
source tarball Files-Excluded procedure can easily approach this.

As a final remark:  Please remove the debian/ dir from your master
branch.  If the package is maintained on Salsa by the Debian Med team
this is the natural place to maintain this dir.  It has no real use for
non-Debian user and for Debian its only helpful on Salsa.  So there is
no point in keeping this inside your repository or download tarball.

Please let me know once you tagged 4.0 and I keep on to help you
creating a proper package.

Thanks a lot for your work and your cooperation with the Debian Med
team
    Andreas.

----- Ende weitergeleitete Nachricht -----

--