Control: tag -1 + moreinfo unreproducible
Control: severity -1 minor

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
> > cdist-doc depends on "sphinx-common (<< 1.4.5.0~), sphinx-common (>=
> > 1.4.5)" via ${sphinxdoc:Depends}. While this is generally fine, it also
> > means that cdist needs to be rebuilt against every new sphinx upstream
> > version.
> >
> > At the moment this causes the following issues:
> >
> > * cdist-doc is uninstallable in unstable.
> > * sphinx doesn't migrate to testing because it would break cdist-doc
> >   there.
>
> Thanks for report. I will rebuild aganist sphinx/sid and upload new
> cdist revision.

Thanks. Will sponsor it (see below).

> > It though builds fine for me in pbuilder, i.e. inside a clean chroot
> > with just its build-dependencies and nothing else.
> >
> > So it seems that if Python 2.7 is also installed (and maybe some other
> > packages, too) but python-sphinx-rtd-theme (compared to the
> > build-dependency python3-sphinx-rtd-theme) is not installed, it doesn't
> > build, because Python 2.7 seems favoured over Python 3 and then
> > python-sphinx-rtd-theme would be needed instead of
> > python3-sphinx-rtd-theme.
>
> I can't reproduce it. Just built fine with python3-sphinx-rtd-theme
> installed, python-sphinx-rtd-theme not and with python2.7 installed.

Ok, that means there must be another package which causes this.

> > One probable solution which comes to my mind is a "Build-Conflicts:
> > python2.7", but I'm not sure if that's a really good idea.
>
> I am afraid of such measures. For example, it would mean, that I
> wouldn't be able to build without sbuild. (My computer have packages,
> that depends on python2.7)

Exactly that's why I think it's probably not a good idea.

> More input is welcome.

I'll dig deeper and let you.

But that also means that your upload at
http://mentors.debian.net/package/cdist will not fix this bug since
the bug is about a missing Build-Conflicts, not about the
uninstallability. The latter was just context on how I stumbled upon
that bug. #837312 is the actual uninstallability bug (which IMHO has
been prematurely closed by Mattia, because it won't work as BinNMU).

So please either drop the "(Closes: #837311)" from the changelog
completely or change it to "(Closes: #837312)".

                Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <a...@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin