Ole Streicher <oleb...@debian.org> writes:

> We need it to put correct time on astronomical registrations, so it is
> most important to have them once they are effective. Having them in
> advance would be an additional plus, however, since f.e. a computer may
> be disconnected during/after the observation, if that happens on a place
> without internet connection.

Christian's data is excellent.  I can also add that, having followed the
project for a while, I think it's pretty safe to assume that tzdata will
have the updated leap seconds in a released version and therefore in a
Debian stable package before the leap second takes effect with a high
level of reliability, and probably at least several months before.

I was mostly worried if you needed the data ASAP after an IERS
announcement, since the leap second data is sufficiently ancillary to the
tz project that it probably wouldn't, by itself, trigger a new release.
So the update would wait for some other time zone change to be rolled into
a release.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>