On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM, mitch wrote:

> I have some spare time and an interest in development but not much
> experience. I do know basic c and have a degree in IST. I have a dated book
> Debain System by martin f. kraft. I'm somewhat interested in trying to
> package and maintain a program called gnaural. I don't know if its still
> being actively developed but might have an interest in programming for it. I
> believe it has a gpl license. Would this be a good project? If not I'm open
> to trying to tackle something in the list maintained by debian.

The best packaging projects are usually ones you have some sort of
interest in personally, because you use it or your workplace uses it
or something like that. It sounds like gnaural would be a good project
for you to work on packaging, especially since it used to be in
Debian, but was removed. Due to the removal there are some extra steps
to take when reintroducing it, apart from the normal steps of
introducing a new package.

https://bugs.debian.org/440418
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnaural
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
http://snapshot.debian.org/package/gnaural/
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#reintroducing-pkgs
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnaural/
http://gnaural.sourceforge.net/

If you decide not to package gnuaural, how-can-i-help is a great way
to find another package already in Debian you use that needs love.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

You may enjoy working in the multimedia team:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/

There are lots of other ways to help Debian, both technical and otherwise:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

--
bye,
pabs