Hi Nicholas,

Nicholas D Steeves writes:

[...]

Thanks again for your advice!

>> > I: company-irony source: testsuite-autopkgtest-missing
>>
>> This is N/A, I think.
>
> It's not required at this point in time, but someday it's possible
> that self tests will be required.  Dh_elpa_test runs the tests as part
> of a package build, and autopkgtest is a framework that automates
> testing of packages in a container or virtual machine.  Because this
> is Informational level lint it's not high priority for Lintian, but if
> you ever want to write a test that gets an company-irony autocompleted
> list for something, and then compares that against the expected list,
> in the expected order.  Tests that provide assurances it won't do
> hilarious/embarrassing autocompletion like cell phones do.  A Nice to
> have, later, if you have time and find the challenge interesting ;-)

Ok.  I don't have currently the skills for writing those tests, but
maybe in the future I can try to learn from some other packages.

[...]

> Because for now the most pressing issue is that it doesn't initialise
> properly...
>
>   Company backend 'company-clang' could not be initialized:
>   Company found no clang executable
>
> This was both with no configuration (and M-x company-mode), and with
> following upstream's README in a clean sid chroot.  I opened a random
> cpp from kdeconnect to test.  I suspect a documentation of
> configuration issue because I would have expected company-irony to
> load rather than company-clang...but it's possibly a bug.
>
> Please let me know how you made company-irony work.

Oh, yes, I think this is expected.  From the documentation at

/usr/share/doc/elpa-company-irony/README.md

## Configuration

Add `company-irony` to your company backends.

~~~el
(eval-after-load 'company
  '(add-to-list 'company-backends 'company-irony))
~~~

Regards,

Alberto