On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 8:03 PM Onsemeliot wrote:

> I suspect adapting the old Trigger Rally Debian package isn't as
> complicated as it seems to me right now.

It is made slightly more complicated by this being a team maintained
package that is stored in a git repository.

If it weren't stored in a git repository, the update process would be
something like this:

# Get the current source
apt source trigger-rally
cd trigger-rally*/
# Download the latest upstream source
uscan --verbose
# Copy the debian/ dir to the new packaging
uupdate ../trigger-rally_0.7.0.orig.tar.gz
cd ../trigger-rally-0.7.0/
# Build the source package
# (checks if the Debian patches still work)
# (some of them are applied upstream so will need to be removed first)
debuild -S
# Update the Debian copy of the upstream copyright info
$EDITOR debian/copyright
# Review all the Debian packaging
mc debian/
# Build the package in a clean chroot
pdebuild
# Check the package for issues
lintian
# upload to mentors.debian.net
debrelease

Longer-form documentation for the above is linked from here:

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

The addition of the team maintenance means you will need to join the
Debian games team. The use of a git repository means you have to find
out which workflow the games team uses for their trigger-rally
repository.

> Can a mentor guide me so that I can become competent enough to
> contribute in a meaningful way by creating the next deb package for our
> project?

If you have any particular questions, please feel free to ask them on this list.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise