On Tue, 2021-10-19 at 09:03 +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:

> At least some of them are not really suitable to be packaged as
> separate public packages. The two submodules in question (AOcommon,
> schaapcommon) are personal utility functions of the upstream authors
> which are not intended for general use.

I maintain a few packages that are in a similar situation, I've
actually been leaning towards packaging the code copy separately but
haven't gotten around to it yet. The code copy isn't changing very
often though, it is fairly mature.

> how to effecitvely (with the help of upstream) detect and download
> the complete source.

I would use the component feature of dpkg-source v3 source packages to
add additional orig tarballs, one for each of the submodules.

Unfortunately the component feature doesn't support subdirectories but
you can workaround that by creating symlinks in debian/rules.

uscan supports the component feature, but as far as I can tell the git
mode of uscan doesn't support git submodules. I suggest you file a bug
or patch asking for support for that if there isn't one already.

If you don't want to use uscan, you can just create a get-orig-source
target in debian/rules with git clone and git archive and run that to
download releases.

If you want to use uscan, you will have to rely on the http mode for
downloads for now. Since you don't have proper links, the html
searchmode will not work for you. So you will have to either use the
plain searchmode or use a pagemangle to transform the HTML to something
useful. Unfortunately GitLab does everything from JavaScript so neither
of those will work. I suggest you load the releases page with your
browser dev tools open, work out which API is used to download the
releases information and then have uscan download that and use the
plain searchmode and various mangle rules to find the files. Once you
have figured it out, please document it on the wiki to help others.

https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#Gitlab

--
bye,
pabs