I haven’t looked closely at it myself, but qtwebengine-opensource-src
accomplishes
something along these lines using `get-orig-source` in their rules file.

https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team/qt/qtwebengine/-/blob/master/debian/rules[1]

Note that, in their case, you must have the python3-debian package installed,
because the
script depends on Python for some of the processing.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

--------