Jordan,

Welcome to Debian packaging!

There are a set of instructions that will be helpful as you work on your first
package:

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/[1]

Even though you are packaging a Python app, there are still a number of
additional things
needed to turn it into a proper Debian package.  For example, you need a
debian/copyright
file, a debian/control file, and a debian/rules file among other things.

One of the packages I maintain is Electrum, which is also a Python app.  You
can get some
sense of how to do it by looking at my packaging repository on Salsa (Debian’s
GitLab
server):

https://salsa.debian.org/cryptocoin-team/electrum/-/tree/master/debian[2]

You might also want to subscribe to the Debian Python mailing list:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/[3]

Soren

--
Soren Stoutner