Jay Berkenbilt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>   On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:13:32PM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>>   > So: I suggest you submit it for addition to renameutils.
>>   > As a side effect, renameutils and your package get a comaintainer.
>>
>>   Hmmm.  Maybe you should see if the renameutils maintainer is
>>   willing/interested in including it first; if not I will look at it.
>>
>>   I agree that it makes sense for it to be separate from perl; but perhaps
>>   not separate from renameutils.
>
> I have to assert, respectfully, that I don't think patmv belongs with
> renameutils or any other existing package.  I guess I'm confused as to
> why the suggestion of including it in another package has come up at
> all.  patmv is its own package with a life outside of these other
> packages.  That should, in my opinion, be sufficient reason to have it
> be a separate package.  I think most upstream authors would be
> reluctant to have their software added to Debian by being combined
> with some other package that they don't have anything to do with.  If
> you disagree, please let me know; I'm definitely open to hearing
> compelling arguments to the contrary.

Tiny packages are generally frowned upon in Debian since they
unnecessarily bloat the Packages file.  So, small scripts like yours
tend to be collected into a single package with other related scripts.

If everyone packaged their pet scripts into separate packages, the
already very large number of packages in Debian would grow enormously.

--
You win again, gravity!