On Fr, 17 Apr 2009, Laurent Léonard wrote:
> Is there a standard or a recommendation for the content of the changelog
> file ?

Hmm, I guess it is up to you but it should be informative for
developers, and it should be clear.

Taking some examples:

> - Is it better to specify the modified file or not ? For example if I add a
> build dependency, should I specify I added it to debian/control ?

Well, every DD or DM knows that a build-dep is added to debian/control,
so I never write:
        debian/control: add build dependency on ...
But if you want to do so then it is fine, too.

I guess the point is that you have to find your own style so that *you*
know what you have done, and that others can at least deduce what you
have done with some common knowledge.

> - Is it better to specify the file concerned by the change at the beginning
> of
> the sentence before a ":" character ? Or included in the sentence ?

Again, either or. I normally do not include these things at all.

> - Is there an order for the changes (importance...) ?

Again up to you. I leave it normally the way I added it with dch during
development. But sometimes when merging some experimental intermediate
releases I regroup the entries ordered by importance.

> - Is it better to end the sentence by a final point or not ?

Hehe, that is a good questions (mind the missing full stop ;-)

> - Should I use for example:
> "Added ...", "Fixed ...", "Updated ..."
> or "Add ...", "Fix ...", "Update ..." ?

Again, find your own style. There is no technical pro or con for each of
that. I guess what you prefer is what you will use.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <prein...@logic.at>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <prein...@debian.org>                         Debian TeX Group