On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 09:06:54AM +0200, Matteo Vescovi wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Frank Lichtenheld (djpig) has orphaned the gtkpod package since he's not
> going to use it anymore, as you can read from:

> Now, I'd like to help packaging it to our beloved Debian, but I need
> some help. I've already read part of the New Maintainer Guide and
> managing to read the Debian Policy Manual during this weekend; I've set
> up a dedicated virtual machine (with LXC) based on Sid AMD64, installed
> the build-essential and most of the packages suggested in the Guide.
> Now, there are few options to build: which one should I choose?
> pbuilder? I've never packaged something important, so I guess I should
> understand a lot of things before trying to complete the process (at
> this time, I've already tried and failed because of a strange dependency
> of sqlite3).
>
> If anyone could give me some helpful hints, it would be really really
> appreciated.
>
> Debian/rules!
>
> mfv

Hello,

As a gtkpod user for a few years, I'm interested to help too. I can
help you in this task if you wish.

The New Maintainer guide is a nice start, be sure not to forget the
developer's reference, which is also a nice read (the policy is more a
standards document than a packaging how-to). The wiki has also very
nice "tutorials".

You can start by unpacking a source package as produced by "apt-get
source". Try building it by hand (with debian/rules), with a helper
(such as dpkg-buildpackage) and in a chroot (I prefer cowbuilder which
is built on top of pbuilder).

However, modern packaging involves version control systems. As you may
have seen, gtkpod uses svn-buildpackage. Try to build the package from
it, and maybe to commit a patch for a bug ? (hint : I've submitted a
patch for #598778, I believe it's easy to fix :-) ).

Cheers

--
Etienne Millon