On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:13:04PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:

> >> [1] Strictly speaking the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS from should "overrule" the
> >> upstream ones if there are conflicts.  Fixing that is left as an
> >> exercise to the reader.  ;)
> >
> > Can’t think of a way of doing that without patching the Makefile. But
> > then again, patching the Makefile is no big deal.
>
> If you are going to send a patch upstream anyway, you might as well make
> it possible to insert user *FLAGS after the "upstream flags". ;)

I ended up doing just that: I’ve introduced a MAINT_* version of all the
variables, and changed the build rules so that the MAINT_* version is used
just before the user–settable version.

I’ve also noticed that the makefile snippet exporting the hardening build
flags takes care of enabling optimization and handling
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt itself, which is nice. I will talk to upstream
about enabling optimization by default.

The updated package is up on mentors.debian.net, let me know what you
think of it.

Cheers.

PS:  No need to CC me, I’m subscribed to the list.
--
Andrea Bolognani <e...@kiyuko.org>