tags 658432 +moreinfo +wontfix
thanks

Hi Daniel,

On 02.02.2012 23:45, Daniel Martí wrote:
> dget -x
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xeji/xeji_1.2-15.dsc

First let me point out, I don't see much reasons to upload this
package to Debian (not that I could anyway). It was orphaned and
should rather be removed than uploaded. You even say yourself your
primary purpose is to learn packaging [1], hence I'd suggest you to
pick a package you really care for instead.

The package you picked has a low popcon [2] no reverse dependencies
and seems generally not helpful at all. That said, if you really want
to maintain this package that's up to you. Here is a review:

* You modified the orig.tar.gz tarball somehow:

$ md5sum deb-version/xeji_1.2.orig.tar.gz
mentors-version/xeji_1.2.orig.tar.gz
afc838ca6174ac98d67b1580832e24d4  deb-version/xeji_1.2.orig.tar.gz
68893c38485b8063cdd6fbe81da76e11  mentors-version/xeji_1.2.orig.tar.gz

That's not acceptable, especially since the tarball was already
uploaded to Debian archives. Thus, you are not allowed to change the
tarball anymore, once it was uploaded without pushing a new upstream
version.

Feel free to remove the "wontfix" tag once you addressed the tarball
issue. Everything else is of lower importance.

* debian/compat 6 is somewhat outdated these days. Joey released
debehelper 9 just recently. Note, using compat 6 is not a tragedy, but
you would profit from using compat 7 or higher a lot.

* The synopsis line of the package is not really helpful (yet another
<whatever> does not help anyone) and does not match our guidelines [3].

* You use the old copyright format, consider upgrading to DEP-5
instead (that's optional of course).

* Why do you install manpages manually in debian/rules? You should use
dh_installman instead. This makes both, the install rule and the
"dirs" file unneeded.

* You should use the short dh form. Check [5] and dh(1) for examples.
Most people consider the old-style debhelper form deprecated. While
you are it, remove the source and diff targets. They are obsolete
since ages it appears.

* The package breaks the hardening release goal [6]. See [7] to learn
how to apply hardening flags.

* Since you upgraded to 3.0/quilt there is no point to add manpages as
a patch anymore. Just put the file into debian/ and install it as I
outlined above.

* patches/xeji_c.patch misses an appropriate DEP-3 header (that's
optional again)

* Don't override I: and W: tags in Lintian. Moreover, note your
explanation for overriding
"copyright-should-refer-to-common-license-file-for-gpl" is wrong.
That's not what the tag is about.

* Remove the README.Debian file. The URL is dead and its information
is redundant to debian/copyright.

[1] bugs.debian.org/592977
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=xeji
[3]
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis
[4] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
[5] /usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.tiny
[6] http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/SecurityHardeningBuildFlags
[7] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/09/msg00001.html
[8] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

- --