Paul Wise <p...@debian.org> writes:

> The --as-needed flag is a workaround for buggy upstream build systems,
> IMO it should not be used unless the relevant build systems will not be
> fixed any time soon.

Which in most cases they won't be.  Hell, I'm an upstream maintainer for
one case where *I'm* not going to fix it, because it's just too annoying
to try to get Libtool to not link a binary with the dependencies of its
shared library when they're both built from the same source tree.

On this one, I side with many upstreams: "fixing" this is more likely to
make the build system buggy on other operating systems and is not actually
a good idea unless all of the libraries the package uses support a
facility like pkgconfig (which is something that upstream is often not in
control of).

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>