On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:58:45AM +0100, Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Paul Wise <p...@debian.org> wrote on 2012-02-21 09:28:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM, David Roguin wrote:
> >
> > > I'm making some changes to the evolution package and every time I want
> > > to test a tiny change I build a deb, install and run it. As you can
> > > imagine that takes a lot of time.

Are you testing changes to packaging or actual code?  If the latter, I'd run
the non-installed binary directly from the build dir.  It probably expects
support data but that's already installed (unless you changed that as well).
If it's a library, you can LD_PRELOAD the new version.

> > maint-guide used to recommend running ./debian/rules binary for that,
> > not sure if it does now.
>
> And use ccache for using compiling results for the next time.

If the package's makefile is sane, ccache is not needed since unchanged
files won't be recompiled.  And evolution uses automake which produces sane
makefiles (at least in this regard).

Too bad, in this case, a no-change rebuild still takes 1/4 of time needed
for a clean build.  It seems it's mostly:
1. installing mo files
2. dh_shlibdeps
3. debhelper/dpkg-dev

It doesn't seem to me you can avoid especially 2. and 3. easily.
(And no, I'm not proposing to replace 3. with fine techniques in
http://angband.pl/debian/pool/main/g/goodbye/goodbye_0.2-1.dsc ☺).

If you weren't using cdbs, debhelper can speed up things quite a bit with
--parallel[¹], especially for packages with multiple binaries like
evolution.  And hey, these days if you don't have multiple cores, your phone
is aged.

[¹]. You need to
export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=`grep ^processor /proc/cpuinfo|wc -l`
as well, but that's something which should have been the default everywhere
but on buildds.  Packages that are not marked as parallelizable won't be
affected so it's a safe thing to do.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple