2013/2/4 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de>

> On 02/04/2013 01:32 PM, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>> <glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> No, unfortunately the package is not ok yet. When I install the package
>>> b43-fwcutter, it will prompt the debconf question in Spanish.
>>>
>> Really?
>> Where to check the source package content?
>>

> Yes, really. Check:
>
> > b43-fwcutter-017/debian/po/en.**po
>
> I presume that this might come due to the fact that the .po file is called
> "en.po" instead of "es.po" and the Spanish translation is invoked when the
> locale is set to English (which is the case for me), I will test that. I
> haven't used debconf translations before.

You are right!, my mistake, sorry! (fixed)

>  Also, after installing b43-fwcutter, nothing further happens. I have to
>>> install the firmware-b43-debs manually which is very confusing. Ideally,
>>> the
>>> package b43-fwcutter should detect the hardware and prompt for the
>>> installation of the proper package or at least depend on them.
>>>
>> b43-fwcutter itself is just a firmware cutter as its name suggests.
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/**users/Drivers/b43#Install_b43-**fwcutter<http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Install_b43-fwcutter>
>>

> The thing is that absolutely nothing happens when installing the
> b43-fwcutter which I found confusing. So, obviously people have to ignore
> this package and always install the installer packages. This should be
> mentioned at least in the README.Debian or better in the package
> description.
>
> I also don't see why you can't just merge everything into one binary
> package. You install a package "b43-firmware", it detects your hardware in
> the preinst script and downloads and installs the firmware accordingly. If
> the detection fails, it should prompt whether to download the firmware
> anyway and then abort the installation or continue the installation,
> depending on the user choice.

this part of the changelog[1], explains why it was necessary to split the
package, however I think this will be no problem for us because the driver
supports all cards with the Kerner 3.2 (which is in wheezy)

Adrian and I are working on a new version of b43-fwcutter without virtual
packages, which installed the appropriate firmware, depending on each card

This will be more clear to users :)

[1]: http://paste.debian.net/hidden/582ce9f5/

> But maybe that's just me. I'd be happy if you have convincing arguments
> why it should be handled differently.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Adrian
>
> --
>  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> : :' :  Debian Developer - glaub...@debian.org
> `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de
>   `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Regards.

--
Epsilon
http://wiki.debian.org/DanielEcheverry