On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:09:01PM +1100, Scott Leggett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an issue with watch file usage in some software I'm trying to
> package ( https://mentors.debian.net/package/compton ).
>
> Upstream does not release tarballs, instead preferring packagers to
> build straight from git. I've followed the advice of the lintian report
> for debian-watch-file-is-missing, and created a watch file with a few
> comments explaining the situation. It looks like this:
>

> #version=3
> #http://githubredir.debian.net/github/chjj/compton (.*).tar.gz
>
> # Upstream currently does not release tarballs or even tag releases, instead
> # preferring packagers to work straight from git.
> # When this situation improves, the watch lines above should work and this
> # comment block can be removed. See https://github.com/chjj/compton/issues/71

The redirector githubredir is obsolete, because github allows uscan now.  It's
possible that githubredir is still documented in some versions of "man uscan".

You can choose to add a comments-only watch file or to leave out the watch
file and ignore the lintian message.

> This passes lintian fine locally, but when uploaded the mentors website
> complains that "A watch file is present but doesn't work" (see the link
> to my package above).

You can ignore that.  I guess mentors doensn't check for comments-only watch
files.

> Is there something I can fix in the watch file,

At first site upstream doesn't support uscan, so no.

> or is the mentors website complaining unnecessarily?

In my opinion, yes.

> It seems strange that the website would complain while lintian does not.

I guess mentors doesn't use lintian to check the watch file, hence the
different behavior.

Regards,

Bart Martens