Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your reply. I will explain my choise. There are some
differences between rename and re-name.

Firstly, re-name is C compiled and it adds performance. I used re-name
in the last year to rename about ~300 milions of files on four
servers. It was made several times. I tested others programs before to
use re-name. A little comparative test (Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @
3.10GHz / 8 GB RAM):

# cd /tmp/1
# for i in $(seq 1 200000); do touch $i; done
# cd /tmp; cp -a 1 2

On /tmp/1 (prename):

time rename 's/2/C/' *

real    0m24.278s
user    0m3.596s
sys     0m1.308s

# time rename 's/3/d/' *

real    0m22.813s
user    0m3.488s
sys     0m1.380s

# time rename 's/4/e/' *

real    0m23.547s
user    0m3.640s
sys     0m1.364s

On /tmp/2 (re-name):

# time re-name -s'/2/C/' *
81903 files renamed.

real    0m17.733s
user    0m0.668s
sys     0m1.448s

# time re-name -s'/3/d/' *
81902 files renamed.

real    0m16.504s
user    0m0.624s
sys     0m1.418s

# time re-name -s'/4/e/' *
81902 files renamed.

real    0m17.238s
user    0m0.596s
sys     0m1.500s

The re-name was 27% faster than rename. In milions of files, it makes
a difference. re-name has others features not available in rename.
re-name can be recursive and read filenames from a file too. I used
recursively in my case. The options are (extracted from manpage):

       -l, --lowercase
              Lowercase specified filenames.

       -u, --uppercase
              Uppercase specified filenames.

       -R, --recursive
              Perform on the specified files and all subdirectories.

       -t, --test
              Test only mode. It won't change anything, just test the
result of searching and substituting.

       -f, --file
              Load file names from the specified files.

       -o, --owner  OWNER
              Change the ownership of the specified files to OWNER.
(superuser only)

       -v, --verbose
              verbose display.

       -A, --always
              Always overwrite the existed files

       -N, --never
              Never overwrite the existed files, discard the renaming
process instead

Thanks a lot again.

Best regards,

Eriberto