I managed to my own question in the end regarding DESTDIR, thanks to
the following post on the list
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/03/msg00127.html

So I have updated the vpcs package on mentors, to use this new
information. I have also fixed the items pointed out to me by Juhani.

As usual the package is on:

http://mentors.debian.net/package/vpcs

  Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this
command:

    dget -x
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/v/vpcs/vpcs_0.5b0-1.dsc

Regards