On 17 February 2014 23:11, Jakub Wilk <jw...@debian.org> wrote:

> * James McDonald <ja...@jamesmcdonald.com>, 2014-02-15, 14:46:
>>
>> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cwm/cwm_5.1-1.dsc

Thanks for taking the time to review this package. I've attempted to
fix some of these problems, but I also have some questions. I have
pushed the latest package to mentors.

> blhc says that at least some parts of the package were built without
> hardening:
>
>> CFLAGS missing (-fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat
>> -Werror=format-security): cc -c -Wall -O2 -g -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 `pkg-config
>> --cflags fontconfig x11 xft xinerama xrandr` calmwm.c

I have modified debian/rules to override CFLAGS and include these additions.

> The compiler warns about use of a deprecated function:
>
>> menu.c:469:2: warning: 'XKeycodeToKeysym' is deprecated (declared at
>> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h:1699) [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
>

> ...and about implicit function declaration:
>
>> parse.y:92:4: warning: implicit declaration of function 'asprintf'
>> [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

These problems have been fixed in the upstream HEAD, but not yet in a
tagged release. I have spoken to the maintainers, and they expect a
release including these changes in about a month. I will apply my
packaging to that new version, which should fix these issues.

> Upstream PGP-signed his tarball, so you may want to enable signature checking
> in d/watch.

Done. The lintian on mentors doesn't seem to like the new
debian/upstream/signing-key.asc yet, so I've put the key in
debian/upstream-signing-key.pgp for the moment.

> Any reason add-changelog is not included in d/patches/series?

PEBKAC. Fixed.

> I'd rather not patch upstream makefile to change PREFIX, but override it in
> debian/rules instead.

I have made this change. That does make more sense.

> fix-man-hyphens is not complete. There are more places where hyphen is used
> as minus sign, although likely Lintian is not smart enough to detect them.

I'm not sure exactly which of them to fix. Should I just mark up the
hyphens in the 'bind' and 'mousebind' sections of the description, or
should all the hyphens in the example configuration also count as
minus signs?

> Typo in the package description:
> "etc" -> "etc."
>
> The description is oddly wrapped. The line ending with "virtual desktop"
> could be two words longer.

Both fixed.

> Enumerated lists in d/copyright are not formatted correctly. Please see bug
> #700970.

Good point. I've added spaces as per your example.

> Upstream embeds a few BSD-specific functions (fgetln, strlcat, strlcpy,
> strtonum). It would be nice if Debian package could link to libbsd instead of
> using these embedded copies.

I have not included this patch, but I am now running it on my desktop.
The upstream porter wasn't keen to add a dependency on libbsd as it
doesn't seem to be used a lot. It might affect portability to some
Linux distributions or potentially compatibility with the OpenBSD
original.

> Typo in client.c:
> cant -> can't

Added a patch to fix this.

As regards the name /usr/bin/cwm, is there a reference for the correct
or recommended way to rename files in the event of such collisions?

Cheers,
James