Package: audacity
Version: 2.2.2-1+b1
Severity: important

Dear Maintainer,

   * What led up to the situation?

Some recent upgrade, I suppose, as Audacity was working just fine several days
ago with PulseAudio managed devices.

   * What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or
     ineffective)?

So far I have not been able to discover a work around.  Removing
~/.audacity-data and allowing Audacity to recreate it had no effect.

Other applications that I use are working with PulseAudio just fine as before.

   * What was the outcome of this action?

Unable to select or record audio from devices managed by PulseAudio nor able
to select or play audio on devices managed by PulseAudio.

Unable to select Pulse in the Audio Host spinbox in the main UI.  Unable to
select PulseAudio managed devices in the other spinboxes in the main UI.
Unable to select Pulse or PulseAudio managed devices in the Preferences|Devices
dialog.

When trying to direct the audio stream to/from Audacity in pavucontrol, Audacity
is not registered as a program playing or recording audio in pavucontrol.

   * What outcome did you expect instead?

To be able to use Pulse and the "system default" recording and playback devices.

I have confirmed this exact behavior on another system running Buster where the
newly installed Audacity does not work with PulseAudio as above.

- - Nate

- -- System Information:
Debian Release: buster/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-2-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8),
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages audacity depends on:
ii  audacity-data       2.2.2-1
ii  libasound2          1.1.7-1
ii  libavcodec58        7:4.0.3-1
ii  libavformat58       7:4.0.3-1
ii  libavutil56         7:4.0.3-1
ii  libc6               2.27-8
ii  libexpat1           2.2.6-1
ii  libflac++6v5        1.3.2-3
ii  libflac8            1.3.2-3
ii  libgcc1             1:8.2.0-9
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0  2.38.0+dfsg-6
ii  libglib2.0-0        2.58.1-2
ii  libgtk2.0-0         2.24.32-3
ii  libid3tag0          0.15.1b-13
ii  liblilv-0-0         0.24.2~dfsg0-2
ii  libmad0             0.15.1b-9
ii  libmp3lame0         3.100-2+b1
ii  libogg0             1.3.2-1+b1
ii  libportaudio2       19.6.0-1
ii  libportsmf0         0.1~svn20101010-5
ii  libsndfile1         1.0.28-4
ii  libsoundtouch1      2.0.0-1
ii  libsoxr0            0.1.2-3
ii  libstdc++6          8.2.0-9
ii  libsuil-0-0         0.10.0~dfsg0-1
ii  libtwolame0         0.3.13-4
ii  libvamp-hostsdk3v5  2.7.1~repack0-1
ii  libvorbis0a         1.3.6-1
ii  libvorbisenc2       1.3.6-1
ii  libvorbisfile3      1.3.6-1
ii  libwxbase3.0-0v5    3.0.4+dfsg-4
ii  libwxgtk3.0-0v5     3.0.4+dfsg-4

audacity recommends no packages.

Versions of packages audacity suggests:
ii  guitarix-ladspa [ladspa-plugin]  0.36.1-1

- -- no debconf information