On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:09:42AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> If we start _expecting_ people to use the archive feature, we can set up
> heuristic to automatically spot processes that get stuck, e.g. mail
> patterns like "AM stop replying to NM 1 month ago and in the meantime NM
> mailed AM thrice". It will take time to get the heuristics right, but
> the potential benefit in reducing FrontDesk efforts to find out stuck
> processes (which are a great source of NM frustration) is huge.

Yes. But I've just introduced the feature, let's see if it works, before
starting to expect people to use it.

> Have you already thought about how to encourage usage of the mail
> archiving feature? Would it be reasonable to add to the NM report a
> section like "processes with no mail exchanges in the past $x days"?

Sure. As an easier start, I was considering adding the mtime of the
mailbox file as a column to the 'active processes' table at
https://nm.debian.org/public/stats/; that'd be a low hanging fruit with
fascinating consequences. Did I say Low hanging fruit? NOM! done.

Another interesting idea is to parse email subjects, and when the
subject changes, automatically add a log entry with the new subject as
text. Making the log automatically update could be an excellent
motivator for using the mail archive feature.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enr...@enricozini.org>