Hello Gunnar,

On Mon, Aug 28 2017, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> I have not seen a line of code written by him... But let me put this
> appreciation in a different light than yours: I know Jerome has been
> trusted to have limited upload rights, and he has modest experience in
> doing so. Most probably, were it not because he was running a complex
> conference, he would have got more time to do technical work.
>
> By taking the decisions he took (and standing by them) during the
> DebConf organization, I can assure you he will not be irresponsible
> with whatever powers we grant him. I could happily and at ease leave a
> printout or a digital copy of my private key material at his home, and
> I'm sure that –other than his kids becoming rogue about it– I'd have
> nothing to fear.
>
> I am sure that, when granted full DD rights, Jerome will not go
> berserk and upload a trojaned Linux kernel. Will he make minor
> packaging errors? I'm sure he would. I'm sure I have done them. Then,
> when I noticed, I fixed them promptly; I am sure Jerome will unscrew
> whatever he wrongly screws up.

To be clear, I don't think *anyone* thinks Jerome is going to upload a
trojaned Linux kernel.  I also don't think that anyone is questioning
Jerome's general technical ability.

Packaging mistakes can be rectified, but rectifying them sucks volunteer
time.  The reason why we expect highly trusted contributors to have a
longer track record of packaging updates is to reduce the chance they'll
make mistakes which cause work for other people.

Becoming someone who doesn't make common packaging mistakes just takes
time and lots of uploads.  Not having that ability doesn't reflect on
someone's general technical ability.

--
Sean Whitton