On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 5:52 PM, Molly de Blanc <debl...@riseup.net> wrote:

> But is Debian an umbrella organization? :P

I would say it depends on the definition made by GSoC.
If you include projects that are not directly related to your organization,
then you are an umbrella organization (and GSoC is fond of you and loves
you).
If you are closed and selfish, then you are not.

A big part of answering the question "should this be a Debian project?"
> is practically relevant when it comes times to dispersing resources.
> Without getting into a debate about how much we should ask GSoC for, I
> will say: When it comes to decision time, do we want to use Debian
> resources on something that is only tangentially related to Debian, or
> does not demonstrably add to the project? I think it's really hard to
> justify doing that, and my intuition is to not.

I would not consider GSoC slots as "Debian resources".
They basically give you as much as you can handle. If you have
good project proposals, made by good students, and you can
find at least one mentor willing to work with this project proposal
and this student, you can request that many slots, and most probably
they are going to grant them to you. At least this is what I understand
from their guides.

Regards,
Dashamir