Well, the discussion is raging on.  Let me try to summarize, since I'm
the poor schlub who has to try to document all this in the Developer's
Reference.

First off, full compliance with the licensing of packages under GPL
and MPL and other "keep source available" licenses (which BTW
constitutes the majority of the main distribution AFAIK) *will*
require a change in how we manage the Debian archive no matter what.
This is not a documentation problem, and I simply cannot solve it.  If
a NMU includes source, the MU version of the package is gone.  Our
current archive scheme just does not deal with the heterogeny of
package versions which exist.  This heterogeny include different
*upstream* versions as well as different Debian versions of packages.

Since this is not a documentation problem, I'll let Guy and Ian and
everyone else solve this issue.

My sole concern is (a) whether or not to deprecate binary NMUs, which
seem to be a great convenience to porters, and (b) to try to make
porting practices more explicit, making it as easy and as functional
for porters as we can.

Some talk about how it is crucial to fold in porter patches into the
"cannonical" Debian version.  To this I agree in principle, but simply
ask everyone to remember that our core compilers and libs are not the
same version for all ports, and that some versions of our C++
compiler, for instance, may contain bugs which are not in other
versions.  Sometimes working around bugs in a specific point in time
for a specific platform does not really generate the kind of diffs
that one would *want* to fold into the cannonical version of a
package.

Finally, I'd like to hear for any listening porters (Roman?) about why
binary-only NMUs are a necessary part of their porting workflow.  I
understand they are simply a lot faster to produce in cases where
minor, interactive style hacking is required on a package.

Now granting that there are no source changes, doing a binary-only NMU
is a no-brainer.  But in cases where a change in the source is
required (say, someone hardcoded '-i486' in CFLAGS in debian/rules),
does it impose a high burden on porters to do a source NMU?  Because
even if we solve the multiple source versions in the archive issue, if
source NMUs are unworkable for porters for scalability issues we
really need to try to reach some sort of situation that will enable
porters to be effective and allow Debian to uphold our own goals
concerning license compliance.

But again, the binary or source NMU issue is a moot point, licensing
wise, until the management of source in the Debian archive is fixed.

If there are any other documentation issues that I missed, please
bring them up again -- it's been a long thread and a busy week.

.....A. P. [EMAIL PROTECTED]<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>