reopen 34223
severity 34223 normal
thanks

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> Santiago indicated a contradiction between APT's behaviour and the
> packaging manual.  Santiago: could you suggest a rewording of the
> packaging manual which would resolve this issue?

Simple answer: No, this is not my problem ;-)

Detailed answer:

I can suggest a rewording of the packaging manual which does not make
it to deviate from its original spirit and makes APT behaviour
almost-compliant to it.

Packaging manual says:

   The install script should feed all the available .deb files to dpkg
   --iGOEB (this is equivalent to dpkg --install --refuse-downgrade
   --selected-only --skip-same-version --auto-deconfigure). The -R
   (--recursive) option for traversing subdirectories may also be useful
   here).

I would suggest to add something like this:

   Clever dselect methods (for example, those who do package ordering) are
   allowed to do this differently if they do the same by other means.

It should be understood or made explicit that removing an essential
package is not doing the same, because you can't never remove an essential
package by calling dpkg --iGOEB.

I think Jason will not like this wording because it does not allow
removing an essential package.

I think APT should not allow the user to remove an essential package and
packaging manual should not bless current APT behaviour, so, as I said
before, I'm sorry but I'm unable to suggest a rewording of packaging
manual which would resolve this issue. I still think this is a grave bug
in APT.

Thanks.

--
 "5768b48d9bee1cb407a4f4ca7c80e787" (a truly random sig)