On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 22:32 +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> It is my impression that more packages than mksh could use an UTF-8
> locale at build time (I’m afraid I don’t have pointers, but I’m sure
> I’ve come across at least a couple).
>
> Wouldn’t it be just better to change Debian’s default to make an UTF-8
> locale available by default, rather than to force all those packages to
> play tricks with LOCPATH?

I too would really like to see a UTF-8 locale available by default, and
would prefer to see this be the C.UTF-8 locale, which doesn't screw with
the collation / character type settings like any other UTF-8 locale
would.

It seems to me that the consensus here is that having a UTF-8 locale
available is a good idea and I don't hear any very strong argument
against such a change.

Consequently I think we should move on from the discussion and start
working out a patch to resolve this in policy.

Regards,
                                        Andrew.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
           Time to be aggressive.  Go after a tattooed Virgo.