On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Santiago Vila wrote:
> No need to add configuration stuff. If a user wants something
> different than the default, he/she can easily make a chown and a
> chgrp.

chown and chgrp is exactly the method of configuration I mean.

> Let's keep it simple: Beginning squeeze, base-files will no longer
> create those directories with special permissions. I think this
> respects the "principle of least surprise", as already created
> directories (from lenny) will be kept in whatever status they are.

That's the minimum. I think we need to go farther,[1] because that
doesn't transition existing installs.

If you don't have any non-root users in the staff group, I can't see
any reason to keep /usr/local 2775. If you do, you may have a problem;
we should warn about it, and ask about transitioning at some priority.
(It's fine if it's low priority.)

Don Armstrong

1: Or at least, we should strongly consider going farther; if it ends
up being untenable, so be it.
--
An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p244