Hi,

if you intend to reply to this subthread, please use the 587279 bug.

On Mittwoch, 17. November 2010, Bill Allombert wrote:
> I do not think it is correct to ever upgrade a free package to a non-free
> one. Now, apt is not at fault, the problem rather lie in a strange
> interpretation of policy 2.1.2 by some developers. But we cannot ignore the
                           2.2.1
> issue either.

No. The "problem" lies in people adding non-free and contrib to their sources.
So I think apt is actually right in those cases to upgrade to a non-free
alternative. It's the users choice.

Bill, so far you're the only one in #587279 objecting to the clarification
making the what-you-call "strange interpretation" crystal clear (and
following the way it was always handled).

cheers,
        Holger