Dear Paul,

I think it is good idea to add this section, thank you.  I have two comments.

> +It may be appropriate to contact the former maintainers to find out if
> +they are working on reintroducing the package, interested in co-maintaining
> +the package or interested in sponsoring the package if needed.
> +You should do all the things required before introducing new packages
> +(<xref linkend="newpackage"/>).

The two sentences above are not much connected.  Perhaps they can be separated
by a paragraph break ?

> +</section>
> +
>  <section id="s5.9.3">
>  <title>Replacing or renaming packages</title>
>  <para>

If you add a new section in the middle of the others, it will renumber them,
which can create confusion, especially that there are anchors names where the
section number is hardcoded (see above).  How about adding the new section
after 5.9.5 ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy