On 14-05-13 23:28, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:51:13PM +0200, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> For fluxbox, openbox, blackbox, fvwm, icewm, windowmaker, gnustep and
>> probably
>> others, there exists scripts that convert a XDG menu structure into their
>> own
>> formats, not unlike currently where scripts is used to convert the debian
>> menu
>> structure into their own formats.
>
> None of those scripts are compliant with the XDG menu specification.

Do we need full compliancy, or do we need a useful menu? I'm inclined to
believe the latter is the case, and that it is possible to get the
latter without the former.

> By constrast, Debian menu supports at least 36 window managers.

But the Debian menu is not used by the most popular user interfaces in
Debian (GNOME, and soon also KDE), reducing its effectiveness in
providing a common menu structure for our users.

> I do not see any benefit to dismantle Debian menu at this stage.

I do not see any benefit in steadfastedly holding on to it when its
usefulness is being further and further reduced and its functionality
superseded upstream.

Bill, I understand your desire to defend your turf. But I think it's
time to realize that the Debian menu has outlived its usefulness. There
was a time when nothing similar to the Debian menu system existed, and
the common menu system was one of Debian's major features; but that time
is long past now, and a common menu system has been implemented
upstream. We shouldn't try to hang on to what effectively has become
superseded technology just for the sake of it.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/