On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:28:42AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> get-orig-source and watch files serve a different purpose.
>
> get-orig-source is used to build the .orig. tarball from the true
> upstream one. Most package do not need that.  Watch files could not do
> that until recently.
>
> So the comparaison is unfair.
>
> What need to be checked is how many get-orig-source rules has been
> reimplemented in term of watch files.

Challenge accepted. ticharich.d.o has an unpack of rules debian/rules
files. Most of them are world-readable. A small number (~30) are
inaccessible, so my analysis will have an error of around 0.2%.

A simple method is to just look at which of them contain the string
"get-orig-source" and which of them contain the string "uscan" assuming
that when both show up, get-orig-source is implemented using uscan.

The following packages do not implement get-orig-source with uscan:

biojava4-live
boinc-app-seti
cjk
edk2
fasttree
freeorion
freerdp
gr-air-modes
gr-fcdproplus
gr-iqbal
gr-osmosdr
htmlunit
ioquake3
iortcw
josm
libb64
libreoffice
libtgvoip
neobio
nvidia-graphics-drivers
nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-304xx
pencil2d
pixelmed
qemu
r-cran-rniftilib
sagemath
west-chamber
zsh

So we have around 22500 source packages with watch files, we have 3000
packages with get-orig source, of those 28 don't use uscan. The fair
comparison is 22500 vs. 28. That's almost 3 magnitudes. If anything,
policy should document debian/watch, not get-orig-source. The perl
policy, python policy, elpa policy, ... each affect more packages than
get-orig-source. Keeping it is uneconomic.

Helmut