Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> writes:

> Section 4.4 explains quite a bit about debian/changelog, but doesn't
> really explain its purpose.  I took its purpose to be recording history
> and driving automation - which led to some mistakes that might've been
> avoided.  During a recent thread on mentors [1], I learned that the
> purpose is to provide a human readable list of changes between released
> versions of Debian.  This came as a surprise.

Separate than the point that Policy could probably stand to say something
a little more concrete about the purpose of debian/changelog, I suspect
this came out of the recurring discussion of whether to include unreleased
versions in debian/changelog.

It's probably worth noting here that while debian-mentors has converged to
a very strong consensus that unreleased versions of packages should not
appear in debian/changelog, the consensus about that in the broader
project is nowhere near as strong.  This is therefore a rule that you
pretty much have to follow if you want people to sponsor your uploads, but
Debian Developers do not follow it universally.

Some people in debian-mentors will make very absolute statements about
never including unreleased versions in debian/changelog and always
consolidating versions, and will give the impression that literally
everyone in Debian holds this view.  This is not really the case.  It's
*most common* to consolidate versions, and usually there's no point in
keeping entries for unreleased versions, but this isn't a universal rule
followed by every experienced Debian maintainer, and there are times when
retaining entries for unreleased versions is useful (there were non-Debian
releases of the package, for instance, or there's something about the
development path that the maintainer felt was important to document).

To include rules about this in Policy would indicate not just that there's
a best practice, but that it's also important enough to tell people that
they have to follow it.  I've always been dubious of this, mostly because
I don't see a lot of *harm* in including unreleased versions when the
maintainer wants to do that.  All the tools cope with this
(apt-listchanges shows all the entries, for instance), and so far as I can
tell, the primary objection is basically aesthetics.

I care as much about aesthetics as the next perfectionist free software
developer, but in general I prefer to see a higher bar for inclusion in
Policy than aesthetics.  As long as variance of practice doesn't *break*
anything, I'd generally prefer to keep it out of Policy and in other, more
informative guides to best practice, such as the Developer's Reference.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>