Jonathan Nieder <jrnie...@gmail.com> writes:

> How do you feel about generated changelogs in release tarballs that
> are generated by tools like "git log"?

I think they're a waste of space and effort.  The circumstances in which
those are useful are so obscure that I think more harm than good is being
done by making people download the additional bytes in release tarballs.
Essentially everyone who would read that file is much better off just git
cloning the repository.

>> I would go so far as to say that I hope we one day stop shipping a
>> non-generated debian/changelog in source packages, because it incurs
>> all the same pain.

> I've been trying to make debian/changelog in packages I work on
> user-focused, and no one has complained yet.

Yeah, I don't agree on debian/changelog.  I write debian/changelog by
hand, and will always continue to do so, and I think it's extremely
valuable.  I also read all debian/changelog files for all packages I
install on my system, and find that incredibly useful when maintainers put
real information in them.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>