Sean Whitton:
> Hello Niels,
>
> On Sun, Feb 25 2018, Niels Thykier wrote:
>
>> Attached is my updated draft along with a changes since the previous
>> draft.
>
> Thank you for this!  Let's get this into a release of the Policy Manual.

Hi,

Thanks for cleaning up the text. :)

> I've pushed a bug880920-spwhitton branch to the Policy repo for you to
> review.  Aside from a single substantive change explained below, all my
> commits are rewordings for clarity and readability.  My commit messages
> should explain them.
>
> It would be most efficient if you could base new patches on my
> bug880920-spwhitton branch.  Once we are happy with that branch, we can
> prepare a diff of the whole branch and post that to this bug to seek
> seconds, and then just merge the branch.

Hi,

I have reviewed the commits on the branch (with HEAD at
efa61ef2c2580ac9a3c4ba2f0756249b4c862989) and I am happy with the
individual changes you have done on top of my initial proposal.

>From my PoV, I think it is ready for seconding/wider review and I am
happy to support/second it.

>> +The builder should set ``DEB_RULES_REQUIRES_ROOT`` environment
>> +variable when calling any of the mandatory targets as defined in
>> +:ref:`Rules-Requires-Root <s-f-Rules-Requires-Root>`.  If the
>> variable +is not set, the package must behave as if it was set to
>> +``binary-targets``.
>> +
>
> I think s/should/may/ in the first line -- can you explain why you think
> it is worth enforcing this upon every build tool that might ever be
> uploaded to Debian, given that there exists a solid fallback?

I am fine with it being relaxed to a "may", as I think documenting R³ is
more important than whether supporting is subject to a "should" or a "may".

Thanks,
~Niels