Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:

> Sure, updated as suggested.

I have a bunch of minor wording fixes that I'd want to make at this before
merging, but that should be straightforward to do.  Before I invest the
time in that, I want to check the opinions of everyone else following
along and see if the semantics of Luca's change have general approval.

Could folks take a look at this patch and see if the basic gist of it is
something that they would second (or, for that matter, is something they
would object to)?  I think I would second it (with wording adjustments),
with one caveat mentioned below.  The whole thing is at:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=945269#295

Luca, am I right that service directories are specific to, well, services?
If so, what would you think of moving them to Policy 9.3 alongside the
other discussion of systemd units?  They feel out of place here, since
packages that do not use services cannot use this functionality, and
there's already a statement in the tmpfiles.d section pointing to them as
more appropriate for services.

> +Packages might need additional files or directories to implement their
> +functionality. Directories that are located under ``/var/`` or
> +``/etc/``, and files that are located under ``/var/``, should not be
> +created manually via maintainer scripts, but instead be declaratively
> +defined via the `tmpfiles.d
> +<https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/tmpfiles.d.html>`_
> +interface.  Files and directories under ephemeral filesystems such as
> +``/tmp/`` may also be created and managed via ``tmpfiles.d`` snippets.

I understand the empty directory part, but I don't believe "files that are
located under /var" is correct unless you specifically mean *empty* files
(and even then, I'm not clear on precisely when this would be needed).
For example, /var/lib/gnubg/gnubg_ts0.bd is created by the gnubg package
maintainer script, and I can see no possible way that action could (or
should) be handled by the tmpfiles.d mechanism.

What am I missing?

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>