    Luca> Aside from more practical considerations, shipping /var
    Luca> content in packages is problematic because it's supposed to be
    Luca> local variable data,

I agree with the above.

    Luca> that can be removed without breaking a
    Luca> system.

Says who?
Where?
Do we have any agreement within Debian that is true for Debian systems?
If so, where?  This is the first I am hearing about the idea I should be
able to delete local variable data and have the system  still work.

If you're talking about *empty directories in /var* or *cache
directories in /var*,
I support that as a goal.  I think it is a new goal though, and I'm
uncomfortable stating it as a reality.
(I think tmpfiles.d helps us achieve that and that's one of the
compelling reasons for tmpfiles.d).

But WRT other data in /var, I don't think we've agreed that being able
to delete it is a goal.