On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 12:12:18AM +0200, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> Sam, Russ, Bill,
>
> Thanks for your input. To be quite frank I still don't see how the
> interpretation of allowing configuration files outside of /etc can be
> supported based on the policy text.
>
> Ultimately I'm just concerned about the UX aspects of admins suddenly
> having to go hunting for config files all over their system when packages
> start implementing this config-in-/usr business en mass.

It seems your issue is more with the documentation and transition to these
new schemes, which is a valid concern I mentionned in my answer.

There are two common schemes:
1/ the default file is read and then the config file is read to
override/supplement it.
In that case the package should ship with dummy config files that document
where is the file
they override

2/ the default file is only read when the config file does not exist.
This is more annoying since this precludes shipping with dummy config files.
In that case I recommend including a README file listing the path to the
default files that can be overrided.
Especially if this is a new scheme that users cannot yet be aware of.

Cheers,
Bill.