On 31 Dec 2000, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> "Jason E. Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > aty128fb: Rage Mobility M3 (AGP) [chip rev 0x0] 8M 128-bit SDR SGRAM (1:1)
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
> > Registered "ati" backlight controller, level: 11/15
> > fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on PCI
> > no framebuffer address found for /[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ATY,[EMAIL
> > PROTECTED]/ATY,RageM3pB
> >
> > So I'm assuming that the 'no framebuffer address found' message is why
> > I don't get /dev/fb1 pointing to my external video port? Is this
> > because it is not yet implemented in the driver?
>
> It seems that message comes from offb.c. If I specify video=aty128fb,
> what is offb doing? What role does offb play in this process?

What kernel is this? In 2.4.0-whatever, offb claims all cards that (a) have an
Open Firmware display path and that (b) were not claimed by a specific driver
(see /proc/iomem).

`no framebuffer address found' means that the Open Firmware properties of that
card didn't contain a frame buffer address, so offb is unable to drive the card
(which doesn't harm, since aty128fb can).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds