KD:
>> The problem of the moment is that the boot process hangs (or rather,
>> loops indefinitely) at statement:
>>
>>     INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>>
>> Any idea idea what causes this and how to fix it?

EB:
> what version of boot-floppies are you using?

Thought I had a consistent set from potato. Just to be sure I DL'd
all files from [1] and overwrote the floppies. On reboot the same
error:

  INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

occurs in the same place.

This is still true too:

>         This step never worked if I tried to install using floppies.
>         After requesting the first driver disk, the installer gave
>         the following error message, identically, no matter what
>         floppy was inserted:
>
>           This is disk 1 of 2 in the drv14pmac series of 15-Apr-2001 01:50
> CDT.
>           Wrong disk. This is from series drv14pmac.
>           You need disk 1 of series the driver series.

[1]
ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44