in "3.5 Meeting Minimum Hardware Requirements" it is stated that:

              Recommended Minimum System Requirements
           |Install Type|      RAM     | Hard Drive   |
           |------------+--------------+--------------|
           |No desktop  | 16 megabytes | 450 megabytes|
           |------------+--------------+--------------|
           |With Desktop| 64 megabytes | 1 gigabyte   |
           |------------+--------------+--------------|
           |Server      | 128 megabytes| 4 gigabytes  |

My opinion is that 128mb of RAM should be the recommended minimum for a desktop.

My justification is that, until yesterday, I had 96mb in my 333MHz iMac CRT and
the kernel kept on swaping for no reason.  The 256mb swap partinion, while it
made it possible for me to actually use my iMac on Debian for a while, resulted
in operation that was so sluggish that I would no recommend it to anyone.

Since putting in a 256mb memory upgrade yesterday, this baby now purrs: screen
redraws are swift and Totem no longer jams because of I/O access to hard-disk.

I realize that Debian installation are essentially adapted from the generic i386
document, but IMHO, now would be a good time to update it for powerpc specifics.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/